The oldest of Downtown’s sacred spaces, the Gesu Church and Rectory is a beacon of faith in the heart of the CBD.
Image: Church pinnacle
Here’s why the Historic and Environmental Preservation Board considers it special:
“Located in downtown Miami, this imposing Mediterranean Revival style church houses the city’s oldest Roman Catholic parish. The cornerstone for the building was laid in 1920 on land donated by railroad magnate Henry M. Flagler, but construction did not begin until two years later. The new church was dedicated in 1925. Now restored to its original appearance, the design includes a massive arched portico under a landmark tower. Gesu Church and Rectory were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974″
Image: N.E. 1st Avenue main entrance